The big question - how do you find your perfect wedding dress? April 25, 2017 19:36
With literally thousands of wedding dress styles to choose from, online and in stores, how do you pick just one wedding dress for your special day?? Especially with all the social media platforms these days, we are easily bombarded by styles after styles after styles. Your thought process for picking out a wedding dress, before even being in a store to try on any styles, is often going to entail the following: "I think I like the mermaid style, yes, that is the only style I will try because it looks amazing in these pictures. Oh but, look at this trumpet style, this looks gorgeous too. I wonder how it will look on me. Or am I a ball gown type of girl. No, no ball gown,..." and it goes on. Sounds about right? Well, you are not alone! 90% of the brides who come see me, are the exact same! So here are a few pointers on how to eliminate this issue, and how to find your dream wedding dress:
1) Be open-minded - Even though you have seen millions of mermaid style wedding dresses and you absolutely love it, you have tried the style and it fits your body great, be open-minded! Try on 1-2 different styles! Trust me, you will be surprised! Most of my brides come in wanting one thing and leave with another!
2) Don't go crazy - Having said point number 1, it does not mean try on every single style and variation of the style in every single store in the city! This will drive you crazy! There are simply too many options for wedding dresses out there. So pick 2-3 boutiques to try out, and try on 3-6 dresses at each bridal store. Don't overwhelm yourself. You can always go back!
3) Stop looking - Once you have said YES to your dress, stop looking. Stop browsing or shopping online or on social media platforms! There will always be new styles of wedding dresses that will come out every season. You said YES to your dress because you loved it and it made you feel like a bride, so shopping around after will only confuse you!
4) Be adventurous - Have fun and be adventurous at your fitting! Try on styles that you would never try on in a million years! First of all, not only would you look amazing in it and surprise yourself, but this is a once in a lifetime fitting, why not make the most out of it and have fun!
5) Take Pictures - Can't even begin to express how important this is. Again, the fitting is not just about finding the right dress, the process of looking for the right wedding dress is just as memorable. Pictures will also help you make the selection after you leave the bridal store!
6) Forget rules - I have lots of brides who come in and say "I am _____ shape, so I will only try on ______ styles, because this style is the best for my shape." No, the best style for your shape is the style that makes you feel most like a bride. It's the one that you don't want to take off, it's the one that brings the widest smile on your face, and occasionally the tears and blushing. THAT is the best style for you!
Finally, if you want to know which wedding dress is YOUR wedding dress, it's the one you dream of and cannot stop thinking about. Follow your heart, not what everyone else says xoxo
Bonnie C., Owner & Designer of Je Vis Bridal